Ravenswood Utility Tunnel
New York, New York
The Ravenswood Utility Tunnel was built in 1892 by the East River Gas Company to supply gas to Manhattan, and travels under the East River from Queens to Manhattan. It was the only tunnel in the Boroughs until the 20th century. During the original construction, drilling began on each end of the tunnel simultaneously, and successfully aligned in the middle. The accuracy of this operation is an engineering feat that’s still marveled at today for its precision without modern-day computers and GPS. As part of Con Edison’s pipe enhancement and replacement initiatives, Ferreira was contracted to assist in the rehabilitation of gas utility that runs through the small tube tunnel. Ferreira was responsible for the installation, removal, and testing of high-pressure gas pipes, developing a rigging system to transfer material, and implementing a proper ventilation plan to ensure the safety of our employees. New risers were placed vertically from the tunnel base to Roosevelt Island to provide volume and pressure upgrades for the residents of the community.
Prior to the 20th century, the only tunnel in Manhattan was the East River Tunnel built in 1892.